So, yesterday. We were woken up particularly early for “yoga,” which was pretty much thrusting and spreading our legs to say “hello, morning!” Fun way to start the day.
Then, in the early afternoon, we had the option to go on The Sydney Road Adventure (pub crawl) or on a Café Crawl, so I went for the more chill option with a small handful of fifteen people or so. The first café we went to was really closeby, called Animal Orchestra. We sat outside, but the inside was beautiful. It was like a giant magazine collage and the lighting was nice and mellow. I had a decent mocha, and then we went over to a more trendy place called Seven Seeds. It’s this little brick place, hidden in an alleyway. Coffee was fantastic. Definitely the better of the two, but a bit more expensive. I had an iced coffee and just took in how cool the décor was. Like, if Urban Outfitters were a café. Yeah.
Then, we went downtown (which no one calls downtown) and went to A WAFFLE PLACE. So pumped. I’d been craving a waffle since I’d left Singapore, and Aussies are hardcore into toast, and many people on the crawl hadn’t ever had a waffle. Wtf? Anyway, it was the rando little stand in the middle of the city, called Just Waffles. Sooo good. I made friends with Flavio, the French man with an Italian heritage, who owned the stand, and he made me his favorite kind of waffle, with strawberries, ice cream, and syrup. Yum yum.
I got to get more comfortable with the tram and talk to some more Aussies too. I really like Grace. We’re going to Jalong (sp?) this month to visit one of her friends, so I’m excited. She taught me one of my favorite new terms “fair dinkum” and Bec taught me “Arrubudiduch!” Yeah, that’s probably not spelled properly, but I love it.
Talked to Greek God some more over dinner, and could very possibly be going to his apple orchard home next weekend. Nice guy.
Then, we had our toga party, which was wonderful. Hilary helped me wrap my sheet and braided my hair. We’re getting along beautifully. She’s funny and easy to talk to and fun to share stories with, so I’m really happy to have her as a roomie here.
Speaking of Hilary, she just walked in from going out. Soooo drunk. Love it. She’s talking about all the drunken Mary’s hookups going on, and described them as “awww yeah, get it!” with thrusting motions and spanky hands. J Hilary’s the shit.
Anyway, then we went out to the bars for a bit, but I decided to go for the early take-home, being out of money and kinda sleepy.
Today, I went to Crown to exchange some traveler’s checks, which took forever. Xavier, one of the O-Weekers and my next door neighbor, was really nice and drove me in his super-80s car. However, we were going to the beach afterwards, so I looked like a bogan in my attire.
While I was waiting for Xavier to pick me up again, a 30-something year-old guy from Queens came over to me, offered me a smoke, and tried chatting me up, saying I should go to “this joint he owns” and gave me the address, saying that if I say my name I’d get in free and get free drinks. Um….no?
So, Xavier finally picked me up and we went over to St. Kilda’s, where it was cold. Everyone said it was going to be a really shitty beach, and it wasn’t awesome, but I didn’t find it that bad. Sat on the sand, talking to Isa, Susan, Bec, Flic, and Bridget mostly. Isa blows my mind. Her mother is Mexican and she goes to school in Barcelona, so she speaks Spanish, by nationality she is French, so she speaks French, she has fantastic English, even though she only started at 13, and she’s relatively fluent in Italian. This girl is awesome. She can’t always figure out exactly what she wants to say, but when she says something, you can see she’s sincere in her eyes.
Random comment: My room placing is excellent. I’m right on the corner of the floor, so one big window faces the street and the other on the east side of the building, right next to the uni, and a bunch of drunkards just walked past, singing. Too funny.
Also, I’ve found an ordering-soulmate in Tom. We were talking about names and he said that when he orders food, he tries to use different names than his own for the Hell of it, and went on to start listing them. All I was thinking was “No. Way. Crazies like me. They exist.”
When I got back from the beach, I took a bit of a nap, and then went over to the UniMelb sort of Quad Day, to feature all the clubs. I signed up for an International Commerce club, Exchange Students Society, and an organization that raises awareness and supports fundraising to fight poverty.
Tonight, we also had trivia. WHICH OUR TEAM WON. Hells yeah. We blew them out of the water. I was particularly helpful with the Disney round. Happy to put my useless knowledge to use.
Everyone is going out to celebrate the end of the week, especially the O-Weekers, who are tired of taking care of Freshers. I went to the Amurrican pregame, hosted in Paul and Justin’s room, where we taught some Aussies the art of beer pong. Hilary and I are the champs. Fo’sho. That is how East 55 does it. Don’t mess.
Aaron ended up spewing on Paul’s doona after a couple shots, which was pretty sick, and Susan was wonderful and helped clean up that and the pong table, which was a too-short desk. Also, Aussies have good music taste. I like almost every song. They’re just getting Two Door Cinema Club here and everyone is really into it, so I’m super happy. They all go “awww, LUCKY!” when I say I saw TDCC in concert.
After predrinks (which Hilary didn’t mind taking one for the team and skulling my goon for me), I went upstairs, and I’ve just been doing laundry now. The machines only take $1 coins, which is a hassle, but whatever. The basement is creepy as fuck and I’ve been borrowing the Mary’s cricket paddle to ward off any scary people who decide to mess with me. I’m having sex with Dani Weiss. Don’t play with this shit.
I actually have to go transfer it to the dryer now. Paddle: check.
No comments:
Post a Comment